Wired media physical connection around the world.
The present world is growing so fast and we have been provided with the greatest platform for information sharing for the first time. Generally, the whole world has been changed into a global village.
Introduction of Transmission
The various physical media can be used for the actual transmission of information from one place to another. Transmission media generate a pathway between sender and receiver.
In each transmission, media generates a pathway delay Cost errors rate ease of transmission and maintenance. Transmission media are two types:
- Wired media
- Wireless media
What are wired media of transmission?
Wired media are the physical link through which signals are confined to a narrow path.
These are also called wired media. Wired media offer high speed, good security and low cost.
It transmits data in the form of electrical or optical are transmission speed is generally faster. This Could be through the wire, Fibre optics, vacuums or coaxial cable.
Wired networks use Ethernet cables to transfer data between connected PSC. In wired media data is transmitted using three different types of wire which are described below:
- Twisted Pair cable
- Coaxial cable
- Fibre optical cable
Twisted pair cable:
What is Twisted Pair of cables?
It is a popular media for LAN (Local area network) and a telephone network. It contains multiple pairs of cables twisted with each other.
The cables are twisted to minimize interference between each other.
It is cheaper, lighter thinner more flexible and easier to install. However, it can transmit data only for a short distance and the transmission speed is slow. It requires RJ-45 to connect it to the computer.
Features of twisted pair cable are as follows:
- A twisted pair cable is two insulated copper wires twisted together loosely to form a cable.
- The wire is solid copper 22,24,26 gauge The insulation is usually PVC.
- They are cheaper, lighter and easier to work with than coaxial cables.
Advantages of twisted pair cable
- It is the smallest amount expensive media of transmission of brief description.
- It is relatively easy for implementation and termination.
- If a portion of a twisted pair cable is broken it doesn’t affect the whole network.
- It is inexpensive and readily available.
- It is flexible and lightweight.
- It is easy to work with it and install.
Disadvantages of twisted pair cable
- Their attenuation is very high.
- It offers very poor security.
- It produces various signals and noise signals noise.
- It bears susceptibility to interference.
- It has a relatively low bandwidth (3000Hz).
What is Coaxial Cable?
Coaxial cable is commonly used for broadband connections and cable TV networks. It is appropriate for contacting computers in MAN(Metropolitan Area Network).
It can transmit data at a faster speed for a longer distance than a twisted pair cable. It is expensive, heavier, thick and difficult to bend compared to twisted pair cable.
It consists of single copper wires covered by a plastic layer and aluminium foil. It requires a BNC connector to connect the cable with the computer.
Features of coaxial cable are as follows:
- Cost is relatively inexpensive of coaxial cable.
- Its installation is relatively simple
- It has a typical bandwidth of 10 Mbps
- Attenuation much less for twisted pair.
Advantages of coaxial cable
- It is easy to install and maintain coaxial cable.
- It supports high bandwidth levels 400 to 600Mhz.
- It provides 10,800 voice conversations.
- It can be tapped easily (pros and cons).
- It is much less susceptible to interference than twisted pair.
Disadvantages of coaxial cable
- It needs to be grounded to limit interference.
- It is expensive as compared to a twisted pair cable.
- It requires a highly skilled installer.
- Its high attenuation rate makes it expensive over long distances.
- It is very bulky.
Fibre optics cable
What is Fibre Optics Cable?
Fibre optics cable is also called optical fibre cable. It is the fastest transmission media at the present. Fibre optics cable is popularly used for long-distance communication, telecommunications network.
It transmits data in the form of a light signal. It contains multiple hair-like fibres made of glass or plastic.
Data is transmitted through the fibre in form of a light signal using the total internal reflection of light. It requires an ST connector.
Features of fibre optics cable are as follow.
- It is more expensive than copper cable.
- The types of equipment can be much higher.
- The data rates in the range of 100Mbps to 2Gbps.
- It has much lower attenuation than copper wires.
- It is much more difficult to install.
Advantages of fibre optical cable
- It is the fastest transmission media at present.
- It can transmit a large volume of data at the same time.
- It provides error-free transmission.
- It has immunity to environmental interference
- It is highly secure due to tap difficulty and lack of signal radiation
Disadvantages of fibre optical cable
- It is expensive and difficult to install.
- It requires highly skilled installers.
- It is difficult adding additional nodes.
- It can easily be broken
- It has a limited physical arc of cables.
Pros and Cons of Wired Media
Wired media has been used widely and said to be more secure and reliable than wireless media.
Advantages of Wired media
- Wired media networks offer higher data and hence the fast transfer of information.
- It is simple to configure.
- Wired media cables usually offer higher bandwidth.
- It offers higher reliability and better quality of service.
- Wired media offers compatible security and reliability. So that it is more trustful than wireless media.
Disadvantages of wired media
- The wired connection does not provide mobility during usage.
- Installation of a wired network is very difficult.
- It requires more time to install.
- It requires devices such as amplifiers, regenerations, repeaters, hubs and switches to extend the coverd distance.
- We can’t instantly move a device from one location to another. As we can say lack of mobility.
What is wireless media?
The wireless network system is a type of network system in which the computing devices are connected without using a physical cable/ wire.
They can share data and instructions using radio, microwaves through the air. The wireless network system can be developed using wireless transmission media like terrestrial microwave, satellite communication, Bluetooth connection, and Wi-Fi connection Infrared communication.
Wired network is also used by millions of people worldwide. It is much trusted and said to be reliable as it has physical configuration and provides better security than wireless media.
Besides this for more information about please check out the given links.https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wired_communication
Also if you are interested to know about Network Topology here is the link for you/COMPUTER NETWORKING 2021: Ultimate information For Easiest Computer learning
Also for more information watch the given videos on wired media below.