An operating system is a set of programs that controls and supervises a computer system and provides services to computer users. Operating system software controls the overall activities of the computer. It acts as an interface between a user, programs, and the hardware.
Some examples of (Windows) operating systems are Ms. DOS, LINUX, Windows NT, Windows 10, and so on.
The operating system on your computer controls:
- the input from several input devices such as keyboard/mouse to your computer.
- the opening and closing of programs.
- the organization of the files on your computer and the screen display.
What are the types of windows operating system?
To function, every computer must have an Operating system. Windows 10 is an Operating system. It was released by Microsoft Corporation. There have been many different versions of Windows operating system, but the most recent ones are Windows 10 (released in 2015), Windows 8 (2012), Windows 7 (2009), and windows Vista (2006).
Windows provides a way to store files, run the software, play games, watch videos and connect to the Internet. Microsoft created the Windows operating system in the mid-1980s.
Not more, we must start our words with an introduction to the Graphical User Interface (GUI) based operating system and the Windows desktop with Desktop application and window environment.
> Windows 10 is a GUI based operating system
A GUI stands for Graphical User Interface and it is a system of interactive visual components for computer software. A GUI displays objects that convey information, and represent actions that can be taken by the user.
A GUI objects contains icons, cursors and buttons and you can use these graphical elements with sounds or visual effects. A GUI allow objects to change color, size and so on.
The GUI was first developed at Xerox PARC by Alan Kay, Douglas Engelbart, and a group of other researchers in 1981. Later, Apple introduced the Lisa computer with GUI on Jan 19, 1983.
There are many features of GUI based operating system and some of them are listed below:
- Protected and supervisor mode
- Program execution
- Handling I/O operations
- Resource allocation
- Information and Resource Protection
- Error detection and handling
- Improved magnification capabilities in Microsoft Magnifier
- Improved text-to-text speech capabilities in Microsoft Narrator and so on.
Window Desktop (Desktop application and window environment)
When we turn on the computer and wait for a while, then you will directly enter into the window desktop. We identify the basic components of a window with a description to execute commands and supply information through various elements in a dialog box.
All the windows operations take place on the desktop.
We can meet with various physical objects on a desktop such as folders, a dictionary, a calculator, or a phone. This computer equipment that appears on the desktop can be regarded as icons (pictorial symbols).
- Each object that we see on real desktop has various properties such as size, weight, color and so on. We can easily rearrange the objects on the Windows desktop.
- Program, folder, and document icons do not have any arrow that just represents the actual objects and also provide direct access to the object.
- And then the taskbar which is located on the bottom edge of the desktop. We can easily click on it to drag it to different locations.
- The start button, active program button, icons for quick access to programs, and the notification area are located on the taskbar.
- We can also restore objects from the recycle bin or we can permanently delete them with the help of Recycle bin that we can see on the desktop.
- (Windows start menu) the start button just deploys the start menu, which is hidden by default. To show the start menu u can just click here with your mouse or press the window logo on your keyboard or just right-click on the start button.
- With this series of buttons, shutting down, restart, and sleep functions are visible.
- And to personalize, settings like system, devices, network and internet, update and security, accounts, etc are done.
- We can search to find our files and folders quickly with the help of the search box.
[Note: The things just mentioned above can be similar to others but these are actually visible on the windows 10 desktop.]
Management of files and folders in the Windows operating system
File management is organizing and keeping track of files and folders, helping you stay organized, so information is easily located. Using the file management tools, you can save files in folders with the required name, easily create new files and folders, recognize and delete it, search and store them on a computer.
We can change desktop background, various colours and features, to customize the lock screen, change and create themes, fonts and so on.
Some important components of Microsoft Windows
The control panel is a component of Microsoft Windows operating system, that provides the ability to view and change system settings. It consists of a set of applets that include adding o removing hardware and software, controlling user accounts, changing accessibility options, securities and so on.
Program and features
The program and features is a hub that comprises an index of overall programs and applications installed on your PC. It really helps to repair, change or uninstall the programs and applications.
Windows security is your home to manage the tools that protect your device and your data from virus on real time protection. It also monitors threats to your device, run scans, and detect latest threats.
By the help of Window operating system, we can easily install and remove devices, manage passwords and privacy levels, manage account, disk cleanup, defragmentation and so on.
Keyboard Shortcut in windows operating system
Windows operating system also provides hundreds of commands. Some of the short-cut keys are listed below:
|Close opened window||Alt+F4|
|to minimize opened windows||Winkey+D|
Conclusion on Windows Operating system
As in short, Windows operating system implemented many changes throughout its versions of Windows to facilitate ease of use. It is really supportive to all hardware and software having many precious features and also offers a good GUI.
Windows 10 is friendly to use and also controls most of the activities of the computer.